Saturday, January 26, 2013

2nd Grade Summarizing and Giving an Opinion

This week I introduced my 2nd graders to a website I recently learned about TweenTribune Junior. I asked them to choose 1 of the articles written this week (we did the activity Thursday). The main page has a photo and a couple of sentences about each article so students could quickly glance at their choices. They had to read the "easier" version of the article. These are written at a grade level appropriate for my primary students and are about 10 sentences long. They had the option to click "read more" and read the full article, which is written at an upper grade reading level.

After reading I asked each student to make an entry in iDiary that included a summary of the article, an illustration, and their opinion of the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment