Saturday, March 16, 2013

1st and 2nd Grade--Paperport Notes and Dropbox

Periodically I break out some PDFs that I have in Dropbox and have students mark them up in Paperport Notes. This is the first time we've done this for the 2012-2013 school year.

Last year I used it for several graphic organizers. With Tools4Students having so many graphic organizers available we are using that app at least once or twice a week so I haven't been handing out as many dittos.

I scan a worksheet (often from Scholastic News) that requires minimal writing and post it in Dropbox. Wordsearch, multiple choice, matching type assignments work well. Students open the assignment in Paperport Notes, complete the work, and then email it to Posterous and put it back in their Dropbox.

What I like--I save a trip to the xerox machine, save a tree

What I'm not sure about--if students don't remember to delete their work from Paperport Notes then when the next student does the assignment (I have 2-3 students sharing an iPad) the previous student's answers are already in the doc, compared to just handing a student a paper with errors circled it seems harder for students to correct mistakes because they have to go back to their Dropbox and re-open the assignment in Paperport Notes to make the correction then put back in Dropbox. For example, here's a sample that needs a correction...



So, I'm not sure. I like the IDEA of it, I'm just not sure it really provides an overall workflow advantage.

Last year students seemed much more excited about marking up the worksheets, this year they were very ambivalent. My new concern is that several Posterous alternatives that my school is considering don't work with PDF format.

I know there's a relatively new app, Showbie, that might simplify the process, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Thoughts? Ideas to do it better?

No comments:

Post a Comment