Saturday, December 13, 2014

Using Apps to Summarize Non-fiction Articles

Every other week or so my students read a non-fiction article. These come from a variety of sources, including Wonderopolis, TweenTribune Jr., and ReadWorks.org. After reading they identify text features using Skitch (which I've written about previously) and then either answer comprehension questions or write a 1-2 sentence summary. For the comprehension questions I usually have them answer on lined paper  (to practice handwriting) but I've been letting them choose an app for their summary. Popular choices are Chatterpix Kids, Tellagami (both with an article photo in the background), and My Story. I steer them away from Toontastic because while that app is fantastic, my students usually want to create a longer project in it and the summary results have not been very good--more like retells with a lot of sound effects.


No comments:

Post a Comment